Dr. Walter Fisher started a small hospital on top of Kalene Hill, which in 1937 was moved down from the hill to its present location. The Hospital at one point grew to be more than a 250-bed hospital and a nursing school was established and continued until 1989. Owing to lack of medical staff and support from the government, the hospital decreased to a 150-bed hospital, and the nursing school ceased to operate.
However, in 2006-07, the Lord provided for the Hospital buildings to be refurbished and then several specialist doctors came from overseas. Plans were made to develop Kalene Mission Hospital as a central referral hospital and the need for better trained staff increased. The Zambian government re-established the School of Nursing at Kalene Hospital in 2007 and a modern theatre block has recently been built.